Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
To improve your Format sites chances of being indexed, and increasing its ranking with search engines (like Google, Yahoo, Bing! etc) you can set a Title and Description/s (site-wide and per-page).
Tap any image to view at larger size.
In this article
- Access the Site Settings Editor
- Set Site Title
- Set Site Description and Keywords
- Set Page Description
- Images with alt-text
- Submit site with Google
- Further Information
Access Site Settings Editor
- From your Dashboard, tap 'Settings' icon, lower-left.
- Tap 'Site' to activate Site Settings tab.
- Go to Site Title field.
Set Site Title
The Site Title is what visitors will see at the top of their browser window and on search engines.
For this article we are using a fictional cycling adventure business but you will use your own details.
You should include your name or business name or the main focus of what the site is about.
Set Site Description and Keywords
1. Scroll down and add your Description.
This is a 'site-wide' description and will only be shown in search result by search engines. It will not appear on the page.
Your description should be between 150-160 characters.
It should be written in a way that is clear and easy to understand with relevant keywords.
Example: Cycle adventures including point-to-point road cycle classics around the South Island of New Zealand photographed by John Doe (125 characters)
2. Add your Keywords (Meta Tags)
This is where you will want to add the words that describe your website.
Use a comma ',' to separate words.
Your keywords should be between 150-160 characters.
Example: road cycling, cycle, classic, team adventure, south island, new zealand, rangiora, lake tekapo, photographer, john doe (118 characters)
Please note that Google does not use keywords for their search engine ranking so these are not necessary to include.
3. 'Save Changes'
Set Page Description
You can add a description that is specific for each page of your site.
1. From the left sidebar tap the 'Pages' ico to activate the Page Editor
2. Open the page you want to add your description to.
Access Page Settings
1. Tap 'Settings' link
1. Page Settings Editor.
2. The Gallery URL should be set to match your pages Title already, ensure it isn't empty (see more below).
3. Add your Description, it should be specific to the content of this page. It will only be shown in search engine results. It will not be visible on your site. Your description should be between 150-160 characters. Example: Teams cycled to the picturesque Lake Tekapo in the Mckenzie District of the South Island of New Zealand. Photos by John Doe (124 characters)
2. It is good to match the Title and URL for each page as the Page Title appears alongside the Site Title in the results displayed by the search engine and at the top of the browser window (or tab).
The URL is the unique address of your page and should all be lowercase with a hypen between each word.
Images with alt-text
On Gallery Pages it is possible to add alt-text to your images, this also helps increase your sites searchability and should be used to describe the image shown.
When adding alt-text use words that people would use when searching but don't use keywords that don't relate to the image.
Alt-text stands for 'alternative text'.
Submit site with Google
To ensure Google indexes your site sooner you can help by submitting at: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url
There is a huge amount of information available online on Search Engine Optimization.
We are unable to cover everything there is to know in this article but if you are interested in learning more we recommend you start with this site:
moz.com The Beginner's Guide to SEO https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo
It is important to check regularly to see how your search engine optimization efforts are working.
You can then try other words or combinations in an effort to improve results.
There are many tools available but we find that Google Analytics will provide you with a comprehensive statistical overview of your Format portfolio site.
If you haven't already added Google Analytics to your Format portfolio site please follow our guide here.
Reach us online at our live chat or via our email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions. We’re happy to help!