Use your Namecheap.com domain
Connect your Namecheap.com domain name to your Format portfolio site.
Throughout this document mysite, mysite.format.com and yourdomain.com are EXAMPLES ONLY you will replace these with your own unique Format address and custom domain name.
In this article
- Format Domain Settings
- Sign in to Namecheap.com
- Manage Domains
- Redirect Domain
- Advanced DNS Settings
- Check your Domain Connection
Format Domain Settings
- From your Dashboard, in the lower-left Sidebar tap 'Settings'
- Tap 'Domain'
- Under Format Address enter your unique site domain name
- Under Add your own domain enter your existing registered domain name (replace yourdomain.com with your actual custom domain name)
- 'Save Changes' or
- File a Help Request and we will help connect for you.
Sign in to Namecheap.com
Sign in to your Namecheap.com account.
- From the 'Dashboard' select 'Domain List'
- Select the domain name you want to edit
- Tap the 'MANAGE' button
- Check that 'NAMESERVERS' are set to 'Namecheap BasicDNS' or 'Namecheap Default' If unsure, don't change.
- Check if 'REDIRECT DOMAIN' has already been set with Source URL and Destination URL as shown in the screenshot above (but with your actual registered domain name, not our example).
- If set, go to Step 5
- If no 'REDIRECT DOMAIN' set, tap 'ADD REDIRECT' and add Source URL http://yourdomain.com and Destination URL http://www.yourdomain.com (but with your actual registered domain name, not our example)
- Save changes (tap 'tick' icon next to rubbish bin).
- Tap 'Advanced DNS' tab.
Advanced DNS Settings
- CNAME Record for host 'www' may show with the Value parkingpage.namecheap.com.
- If it does change to be your Format Address as set earlier eg. mysite.format.com.
- Tap the 'tick' to save any changes.
- The 'URL Redirect Record' for host '@' should show what you set in the previous step with 'Unmasked' next to it.
You can now log out of Namecheap.
Check Your Domain Connection
Changes to your registrar's site are not instant! They can take up to 48 hours to take full effect (however, it usually takes a few hours).
It's best to check your connection after one day.
You will know that your domain connection is working when you enter yourdomain.com and your Format site loads with https://www.yourdomain.com in the address bar.
Be sure to check that www comes up in the address bar.
Reach us online at our live chat or via our email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions. We’re happy to help!