Format sites are connected to your custom domain name on the root and www subdomain. This means your site URL would appear in the web browser as: https://www.mysite.com
You may want your Format portfolio site to be reached using a different subdomain like
clients as an example. Your site URL would then be similar to:
Format domain settings
- From your Dashboard tap 'Settings'
- Tap 'Domain'
- Under Format Address enter your unique site domain name
- Under Add your own domain enter your existing registered subdomain name (replace yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com with your actual custom subdomain name)
- 'Save Changes'
Add a CNAME Record
This will require you accessing your own Domain Registrars Control Panel.
The CNAME record from your registrar sends a request for your
yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com to Format.
Format searches for the account that has mysite.format.com and loads your site for the visitor.
- On your registrar's site access your DNS settings (this is usually under 'DNS Settings', 'DNS Records', 'DNS Zone Editor', etc. )
- Create a CNAME record.
- Set host to be the subdomain you are wanting to point to mysite.format.com (in our example we are using '
- Add the value to be the Format Site Address you set in the previous step.
This CNAME record connects your domain to Format. It takes requests for
subdomain.yourdomain.com and sends them to format.com
Most registrars will allow you to add or edit a CNAME record. If yours doesn't then you should transfer to a different service. (We recommend Hover.com).
Check domain connection
Changes made at your registrar's control panel are not instant!
These changes can take up to 48 hours to take full effect.
It is best to check your connection after one day.
You will know that your domain connection is working when you enter yourdomain.com and your Format site loads with subdomain.yourdomain.com in the address bar.
Still not working?
You may feel you have done everything correctly, just as this article says, but your domain is still not working.
Please send us a secure Domain Help Request so we can assist you.