Add a sitemap to Google Search Console
Add an automatically generated sitemap.xml file to Google Search Console to help with the indexing and verification of your site for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Learn more about how sitemaps work here.
If you have pages that have the Page Visibility set to 'Private' or 'Offline' these will not be indexed or included in your sitemap file.
Tap any image to view at larger size.
In this article
- Access Site Settings
- Google Search Console add URL
- Paste Code
- Verify with Google Search Console
- Ownership verified
- Google Search Console Dashboard Overview
- Access Sitemaps panel
- Check your SEO Sitemap
- Add a new sitemap
- Sitemap submitted successfully
Access Site Settings
- From the left Sidebar, tap 'Settings' icon
- Tap 'Site' tab
- Scroll down to bottom showing 'Custom <head> Include'. Read warning.
- Tap 'Continue Anyway' button.
Google Search Console add URL
Log into your Google Account and select Google Search Console panel
If you don't already have a Google Account you will need to create and enable Google Search Console.
- Add the full site URL beginning with https://
- Tap 'ADD PROPERTY'
- Scroll down to the 'Other verification methods' panel and select HTML tag
- Tap the icon to open the panel
- Select and Copy all the code in this field.
Return to Custom <head> Include field in Dashboard Site Settings.
- Paste the copied code into the text area.
- Save Changes.
Verify with Google Search Console
Return to the Google Search Console browser window.
- Tap 'VERIFY'
- Ownership Verified
- Tap 'GO TO PROPERTY'.
Google Search Console Dashboard Overview
After verifying, your Google Search Console Dashboard is likely to appear empty because no data has yet been processed.
- Tap 'LEARN MORE' to find out what you can achieve with Google Search Consoles extensive tools and reporting.
Access Sitemaps panel
- Use the 'hamburger' menu icon (top-left) to activate the Site Menu
- Scroll down and select 'Sitemaps'
Check your SEO Sitemap
- From your Format Dashboard sidebar tap 'Site Settings'
- Tap 'SEO' and scroll to the bottom of this panel
- Check the base URL shown is the same as you added previously to Google Search Console. It should show 'sitemap.xml' at the end.
Add a new sitemap
Return to Google Search Console the 'Sitemaps' panel
- Add 'sitemap.xml' to complete the URL (this should look exactly the same as the 'SEO Sitemap' link in your Format Dashboard)
- Tap 'SUBMIT'
- Tap 'LEARN MORE' for more information from Google on sitemaps.
Sitemap submitted successfully
You will receive a notification that the sitemap has been submitted and will be processed periodically for changes.
If you add or remove pages in the future, Google will check with the sitemap file and update it's search index.
You do not need to do anything further.
Reach us online at our live chat or via our email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions. We’re happy to help!