When your Google domain is set up correctly yourdomain.com will load your Format site with
https://www.yourdomain.com showing in the address bar.
Format Domain settings
- From your left sidebar tap 'Settings'
- Tap 'Domain and Email'
- Under Format Address
- Enter your unique site domain name this is known as your Format Website Domain address
- Tap 'Connect Your Domain' enter your existing registered domain name (replace yourdomain.com with your actual custom domain name)
- 'Save Changes'
Add Existing Domain Name
- Enter your existing custom domain name, registered through an external domain registrar
- Save Changes
- Follow instructions to update your domain provider settings to point to your Format site (instructions shown below)
Failed Connections can happen for a large number of unknown reasons
We are unable to access your Google Account for security reasons but please contact us directly via in-app chat and we will help guide you through the next few steps.
Sign in to Google Domains
If you have more than one custom domain name registered with Google, select the one you want to connect to your Format site.
- Tap 'My domains'
- If you have more than one domain it will be listed here
- Tap 'DNS' icon to configure
Scroll down until you see 'DNSSEC' panel.
The nameservers need to be using Google's default nameservers.
Under Synthetic records, forward the root domain to the 'www' version of your domain using a Subdomain forward.
- Go to the Synthetic records area
- Change dropdown selector to 'Subdomain forward'
- Ensure there is an '@' in the 'Subdomain' placeholder
- Add 'http://www.mysite.com' in the 'Destination URL' placeholder (replace 'mysite.com' with your own custom URL)
- Redirect type: 301 (Permanent)
- Ensure Forward path is selected
- Tap 'Add'
- The Subdomain forward should appear and match our example except you would have your own custom domain showing instead of mysite.com
Leave set to
Under Custom resource records, add a CNAME alias pointing to your Format URL.
- Add 'www' in '@' placeholder
- Set the record type to 'CNAME'
- Add your Format site address URL in the 'Domain name' placeholder
A confirmation message will be displayed. Sometimes it can take as long as 24 hours for your website to be connected to your domain.
Still not working?
We are unable to log into Google Domains but reach us online at our live chat or via our email email@example.com and we can check and advise some options for you to try.