Preparing your images for Format
Saving your images correctly will help your pages load quickly across all devices and make sure they 'look the same'.
Tap any image to view at larger size.
In this article
- Supported image files JPEG, PNG or Animated GIF
- Exporting from Adobe® Photoshop® for Gallery or Custom Pages – video instructions
- Export images from Adobe® Photoshop® or similar
- Recommended settings for JPEGs
- Export images from Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom using the Format Publisher plugin
- Recommended settings for Proofing Projects
- Recommended settings for Logos
Supported image files JPEG, PNG or Animated GIF
- JPEG files are best of photographic image with millions of colors. Lossy compression
- PNG-8 good for logos (maximum 256 colors). Lossless compression
- PNG-24 best for logos, illustrations, still images and transparency. Lossless compression
- GIF files are best for simple animations or graphics with flat colors. Lossless compression
- Image files can be up to 50mb in size
Exporting from Adobe® Photoshop® for Gallery or Custom Pages – video instructions
<iframe width="630" height="394" src="https://www.useloom.com/embed/4d34be1d1f56489d8ba2d748d8a533c8" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
- Export as… 0:25
- Set height to 1600px 1:10
- Include metadata 2:34
- Color Space 2:43
- Export image 3:11
- Select location to save image 3:21
Export images from Adobe® Photoshop® or similar
If you are using Adobe® Photoshop® or similar as your image editor you will want to save your images using the 'File' > 'Export' > 'Save for Web (Legacy)…' option.
Images that are not 'saved for web' may have color profiles attached which are handled badly by some web browsers, resulting in the poor rendering or odd colors on your images.
This is particularly noticeable on mobile devices.
Recommended settings for JPEGs
Gallery Page image files can be up to 50mb in size but for best results we recommend these settings for saving your JPEGs
- Select JPEG
- Quality level 95% (recommended)
- Tick 'Optimized' and 'Embed Color Profile'
- Tick 'Convert to sRGB'
- Image size set H (height) to 1600px (recommended minimum). If the W and H are 'linked' the W (width) dimension will be added automatically
- Indication of saved image size and type
- Save your image.
Export images from Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom using the Format Publisher plugin
The Format Publisher plugin simplifies the tasks of uploading and updating your Gallery Pages and Proofing Projects. Instead of exporting JPEGs to your desktop and then uploading you can export directly. Saving steps, time and allowing you to automatically configure the settings necessary.
The Format Publisher article will show you how to download, install, configure and use this for saving your images.
Recommended settings for Proofing Projects
If you are using our Proofing Feature and allowing your clients to download full resolution images you will not want to restrict the Image Sizing or Quality of the image compression.
Recommended settings for Logos
Each theme displays logos at different sizes.
Make your logo image at least 900 pixels wide and crop it as tight as you can before uploading.
This will ensure it displays in a clean and sharp manner on all devices and displays.
If you have a mainly text-based logo or graphic and want the background to appear underneath (transparent) save as a Transparent PNG file.
Export as a JPEG if you have more of a photographic style logo.
Export as an Animated GIF if you have animated your logo!
See our more detailed Preparing your Logo guide.
You may want to experiment with different export settings and add to your site before deciding what looks best.
Reach us online at our live chat or via our email email@example.com if you have any more questions. We’re happy to help!
Adobe, Photoshop and Lightroom are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.