Use your Google domain
When your Google domain is set up correctly yourdomain.com will load your Format site with https://www.yourdomain.com showing in the address bar.
Throughout this guide mysite, mysite.format.com and yourdomain.com are EXAMPLES ONLY you will replace these with your own unique Format address and custom domain name.
Tap any image to view at larger size.
In this article
- Format Domain Settings
- Sign in to Google Domains
- DNS Management
- Confirmation Message
- Still not working?
Format Domain Settings
- From your Dashboard, in the lower-left Sidebar tap 'Settings'
- Tap 'Domain'
- Under Format Address enter your unique site domain name
- Under Add your own domain enter your existing registered domain name (replace yourdomain.com with your actual custom domain name)
- Save Changes
Sign in to Google Domains
If you have more than one custom domain name registered with Google, select the one you want to connect to your Format site.
- Tap 'My domains'
- If you have more than one domain it will be listed here
- Tap 'DNS' icon to configure
Scroll down until you see 'DNSSEC' panel.
The nameservers need to be using Google's default nameservers.
Under Synthetic records, forward the root domain to the 'www' version of your domain using a Subdomain forward.
- Go to the Synthetic records area
- Change dropdown selector to 'Subdomain forward'
- Ensure there is an ampersand '@' in the 'Subdomain' placeholder
- Add 'http://www.mysite.com' in the 'Destination URL' placeholder (replace 'mysite.com' with your own custom URL)
- Redirect type: 301 (Permanent)
- Ensure Forward path is selected
- Tap 'Add'
- The Subdomain forward should appear and match our example except you would have your own custom domain showing instead of mysite.com
Under Custom resource records, add a CNAME alias pointing to your Format URL.
- Add 'www' in '@' placeholder
- Set the record type to 'CNAME'
- Add your Format site address URL in the 'Domain name' placeholder
A confirmation message will be displayed. Sometimes it can take as long as 24 hours for your website to be connected to your domain.
Still not working?
Send us a secure Domain Help Request so we can assist.
Reach us online at our live chat or via our email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions. We’re happy to help!